Monday, July 6, 2009

Call #2


Last time I saw Kate was when Phil and I dropped her off at the airport. It was an EARLY flight - can you tell? Hopefully it won't be too long till I have some China pictures to post.
Till then, I've learned that going to work is a good thing -- when I was in my office Friday morning, Kate called from China. The connection was TERRIBLE, but at least I got to visit with her for a few minutes. Her group arrived in China last Monday, but hadn't had any luck calling home. The team from GE was supposed to call all the parents and let them know the kids were okay, but with our moving and everything, they hadn't been able to reach us.

Kate's group has been working with teenagers at some kind of a government-sponsored (I think) camp. She's been teaching morals and ethics, she said between the crackles of the phone, working with a group of 5 kids. They had just finished up at that camp and were going to be moving to another city in the next day or two. (Vic tells me that the cities they've been visiting are beautiful, and I'm looking forward to seeing and posting some pictures eventually.)

It was night time in China when in was morning in Minnesota, and wherever Kate was, there were a lot of Chinese people talking loudly in the background. Maybe they were having an it's-almost-our-last-night celebration, but so far as I could tell, she was fine. She was even looking forward to having a day off to do her laundry and maybe a little sight-seeing.

I found out later (Kate and I spent Sunday evening texting back and forth) that only 1 of the kids in her group had the flu and so they weren't quarantined like Talia's group. Kate's been healthy and is having a wonderful time. It sounds like she's enjoying the other kids in her group and making a few new friends. Wish I were there. Sigh.

No comments: